IT'S A CODEPINK FOURTH OF JULY
July 4th Talking Points by John Nichols
Here are a few great ideas to add some spark to your 4th of July plans and bring attention to mistreatment and abuse happening at the hands of the American government.
Pinwheels Blowing in the wind
Begin with a sheet of paper as wide as you want your fan to be and about 1 1/2 times as long. Accordion-fold the paper.
Hold the folded paper closed, and staple it in the center with the staple perpendicular to the folds. Cut a curved profile at each end.
Splay the fan so that the open edges of one side meet. Lay a thin line of craft glue along these edges. Press the glued edges together, and secure with a paper clip until the glue dries. You will now have a partially opened fan. Glue a thin strip of wood, such as a wooden coffee stirrer, to each side of the open V. If you want to keep the fan permanently open, tie the handle sticks together with colored twine.
Pretty Pink Slip Garland How-To
Trace or draw desired design across full width of a package of folded tissue paper; pink tissue paper is perfect for pink slips. Cut along the outline, leaving a bit of uncut fold at both sides so figures connect to one another. You’ll end up with several strings of five or six shapes each; tape together for a garland.
FUN & YUMMY RECIPES
Martha Stewart's Patriotic Cupcakes decorated CODEPINK style.
Fabulous to take to the neighbors BBQ.
3 cups cake flour (not self-rising), sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
5 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Pink dessert toppings
- Heat to 325° with rack in center. Line muffin pans with baking cups; set aside. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- In the bowl of a heavy duty electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. With mixer running, add eggs and vanilla extract; beat until combined.
- With mixer on low speed, add 1 cup flour mixture; mix until combined. Add 1/2 cup buttermilk; combine. Alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk, ending with flour, until all has been incorporated.
- Divide batter evenly among baking cups. Bake until light golden brown and a cake tester inserted into middle comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Rotate pans half way through baking. Transfer pans to a wire rack to cool.
- To decorate, place each color of sprinkles in its own small bowl. Frost each cupcake with about 3 tablespoons Swiss Meringue Buttercream. Gently press each frosted cupcake into sprinkles; rolling around so entire surface is coated. Arrange picnic party picks as desired.
CODEPINK Grapefruit "Margaritas" - Serves 6
- Place 2 cups water in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add grenadine; stir to combine. Pour mixture into two ice-cube trays. Freeze until solid, 2 hours or overnight.
|Action To Honor American Values on Independence Day|
|Fourth of July Talking Points by John Nichols|